"Bro-Choice" for Irresponsible and Commitment-Phobic Men Everywhere
A provocative article by Ben Sherman on "bro-choice" and his follow-up piece on conservatives hating casual sex have riled up both sides of the abortion debate. Mr. Sherman is a student at the University of Texas-Austin and is quite upset about the implications to his sex life if Texas House Bill 2 is signed into law. His article spawned the "Bro-Choice Pledge" to support "reproductive justice" as well as numerous articles and tweets by pro-life supporters aghast at the callousness of "bro-choicers," which prompted his second article about conservatives and sex.
What about this bill has Mr. Sherman's boxers/briefs in a twist? HB 2 is a pro-life law intended to protect women and save babies. Here are the two main provisions of the bill:
- It prohibits abortions after the 20th week of gestation (that's five whole months, Mr. Sherman) because at 20 weeks gestation the baby can feel excruciating pain in the womb (while it is being torn apart, limb-by-limb, during a late-term abortion) with exceptions in the bill to save the life of the mother or prevent her from suffering serious and irreversible physical harm and for severe fetal abnormalities.
- To protect women who are harmed during legal abortions, the bill requires abortionists to have admitting privileges to a hospital within 30 miles of the clinic that has gynecological and obstetrical services, and the bill requires the abortionist supply his patients with a phone number where someone from the clinic may be reached 24 hours a day in case of emergency after the abortion and the phone number of the hospital nearest the woman's residence where she may obtain emergency services due to a botched abortion.
Mr. Sherman's take-away from this bill is fourfold:
- Your girlfriend's/wife's life will be in danger. Making abortion inaccessible for millions of Texas women is going to put them in danger if they ever need to terminate a pregnancy. Black markets for unsafe abortions will emerge, and women will be pushed into potentially fatal, back-alley abortions. That's your girlfriend's life we're talking about.
- Your freedom to choose is at stake, too. While it is ultimately a woman's choice whether to have an abortion, many women choose to make that decision with the man involved. Do you want that decision ready-made for you by politicians in state government? Not if you value freedom, you don't.
- You want to decide when and if to have kids. This bill will force thousands of Texas men into unplanned fatherhood by making it impossible for women to access an abortion in the event of an unplanned pregnancy. Even if you want to have kids, you probably don't want an accident to make you a father before you're psychologically ready and able to care for a child. If you don't want kids, you don't want the narrow, personal views of politicians in the state government to force you to have them.
- Your sex life is at stake. Can you think of anything that kills the vibe faster than a woman fearing a back-alley abortion? Making abortion essentially inaccessible in Texas will add an anxiety to sex that will drastically undercut its joys. And don't be surprised if casual sex outside of relationships becomes far more difficult to come by.
Let's address his concerns one by one:
Just because abortion is legal today does not mean it is safe. Are you aware, Mr. Sherman, of even one detail from the Kermit Gosnell trial, which included proof that this late-term abortionist perforated women's wombs, uteruses, and internal organs, left parts of the babies in women's wombs, gave them sexually transmitted diseases through dirty instruments, and caused the death of at least one woman, not to mention the countless babies born alive whom he dispatched by "snipping" their spinal cords? (For those signing the "Bro-Choice Pledge," keep in mind these babies could have used your "courage to speak out against injustice.") Women suffer horrible, life-endangering, and life-altering injuries during legal abortions every day in this country, and that is why the bill puts in the safety provisions for women.
Your freedom to choose was actually long before you find yourself with a pregnant girlfriend, and there are more choices available after the fact. You could have chosen to forgo sex until you were ready to understand and accept the fact that every time a man and woman (who are not sterile) have sex, there is the possibility a new life will be created by that act. If HB 2 passes, you and your girlfriend could still choose to kill your baby during the first 19 weeks and 6 days of gestation. You could choose to raise your child, or you could choose to put your child up for adoption. Abortion, Mr. Sherman, is not the only choice. The Texas state legislators did not decide when, where, how, why, or with whom you had sex, but if successful with HB 2, they will set parameters as to when and how you may kill the baby you created.
HB 2 is not forcing any man into fatherhood. The bill is not forcing you to have sex. If a man and woman have sex and neither one is sterile, there is a possibility the woman will become pregnant if she is of child-bearing age. If you are not psychologically ready for this possibility and responsibility, perhaps you shouldn't be having sex. (Yes, I know this suggestion annoys the heck out of you, but that's probably because you know it's true.) This basic fact of life seems to be a mystery to so many people who find themselves in "unplanned and unintended" pregnancies. Did the "comprehensive sex ed" classes teach students nothing? And again, the government is not forcing you to have children; the government is setting parameters on how long the consequences of your irresponsibility may go on before you are no longer allowed to dismember and kill babies in the womb.
Poor Mr. Sherman; he's afraid his consequence-free sex lifestyle will be impaired if the women he is having sex with don't have the ability to kill the babies in their wombs at any time during their pregnancy. His companion piece is all about how mean conservatives just want to harsh his mellow by taking away late-term abortions.
Ladies, think about what Mr. Sherman and his "bro-choice" buddies are really saying. They want to have sex with you but do not want to have children with you, nor do they want to bear any responsibility for having sex with you. You are merely there for their pleasure. They want abortion-on-demand so they don't have to become daddies with the women they are bedding. They will only be your "authentic ally" when you need a ride to the abortion clinic, and even that seems doubtful, considering their laser-beam focus is on their sex lives and not your real-life situation. They want to define this as "masculinity," but what it amounts to is perpetual adolescence.
Real men think before they act and take responsibility for their actions. Those "living bro-choice" will never understand that killing the baby is not a manly thing to do.
1015 Fifteenth St. N.W., Suite 1100
Washington, D.C. 20005
Phone: (202) 488-7000
Fax: (202) 488-0806