"Rock the Slut Vote": The Clarion Call of the Left?
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle," is a 1970 quote from feminist Irina Dunn (although often misattributed to Gloria Steinem).
Well, it looks like Orca may need a Schwinn.
In an election year gambit to unite women everywhere, feminists have launched the "Rock the Slut Vote" campaign.
Why, you ask? Their answer, "Our mission is to fight the GOP effort to bully, subjugate and silence women. We will wrest the power from the word slut and help women get informed, get involved, get registered and vote." (Seems to me it was the left trying to bully, subjugate, and silence Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann, by calling them names far more offensive than "slut.")
According to the Daily Caller, "The previously not politically active study guide publisher, Susan McMillan Emry, started the group in early March following The Susan G. Komen for the Cure/Planned Parenthood controversy, an increase in pro-life legislation and radio giant Rush Limbaugh's controversial comments about contraception activist Sandra Fluke."
So, this is about the GOP having a difference of opinion with feminists. That would be the feminists who declare they don't need a man, while they are on Capitol Hill begging members of Congress (many of whom are men by the way) for money to support their sexual practices and resultant consequences of said sexual practices, which frequently occur with men. At least those that end up with a pregnancy. Once pregnant, these independent feminists need big daddy government or big daddy employer to step in and pay for their abortion. Of course, they claim if big daddy would provide them with contraception they might not need abortions too often.
Evidently it's not patriarchy if big daddy government pays for women's contraception and abortions, but it is misogynistic beyond belief for the male sex partner to pay his "fair share" of costs. Independent women don't need a male sex partner to pay the costs associated with promiscuity; they just need an employer or the government to pay. To ask them to pay their own way is mean and, dare I say it, patriarchal.
Being a big tent kind of movement though, they do not limit membership to the promiscuous seeking subsidies for having sex. Are you a slut who should vote Democrat? Let's see:
You might be a slut …1
- If you are a Liberal
- If you are a Democrat
- If you are an Independent
- If you are a Republican who rejects the "war on women"
- If you are raising strong, independent daughters
- If you don't go to church
- If you ever burned your bra
- If you remember Woodstock
- If you ever attended a sit-in
- If you've ever used contraception
- If you've ever been tested for an STD
- If you voted for Hillary in 2008
- If you've ever gone to Planned Parenthood
- If you've ever donated to Planned Parenthood
- If you've ever taken a pregnancy test
- If you're single or the mom of a single mom
- If you teach your daughters about safe sex
- If you think being called a feminist is a compliment
- If you don't want your employer policing your health care
- If you're still buying Dixie Chick CDs
- If you've ever lived with a boyfriend
- If you want to marry your girlfriend
- If you've ever been divorced
- If you've ever had an abortion
- If you speak up when they tell you to shut up
You might be a slut if you believe …2
- Criminalizing contraception is wrong
- Comprehensive, preventive women's health care is a right
- What you do in your own bedroom is no one's business
- Your relationship with your doctor is private
- You get to make your own decisions about your body
- One voice can make a difference
- The war on women is real and must be stopped
- That a vote for women's rights is a vote for everyone's rights
- Women who unite and vote can change the world
- Protecting women's rights should be a "single-issue vote"
- The war on women will be settled at the ballot box
Perhaps before the "sluts" vote, they should stop being hypocrites. If you want to keep your bedroom activities private, keep your relationship with your doctor private, and make your own decisions about your body, stop telling us about these aspects of your life and, most importantly, stop expecting us to pay for it.
- From the Rock the Slut Vote website.
1015 Fifteenth St. N.W., Suite 1100
Washington, D.C. 20005
Phone: (202) 488-7000
Fax: (202) 488-0806